STUDY AUTHORS: The McDowell Group; Buell & Associates, Inc.; Stephen R. Braund & Associates
Information on demographics, economy, infrastructure, and history are provided for several communities in the Lake and Peninsula Borough, Bristol Bay Borough, and the Dillingham Census Area. The discussion is based on the most recent government data available at the time of preparation.
- The three largest employers in the study area are government, commercial fishing and tourism.
- Local Alaskans involved in the commercial salmon fishery consistently have the smallest average earnings and non-residents the highest.
- In 1999, 19 percent of the population lived below poverty level.
- Chapter 21 Technical Summary (PDF 39KB)
- Chapter 21: Socioeconomics (Bristol Bay Drainages) (PDF 2MB)